The name Countesthorpe originates from the 11th century when the area was part of the marriage dowry of the Countess Judith niece of William the Conqueror. The 'thorpe' part of the name is from the gothic meaning of 'land'.
The parish church of St. Andrew was started in 1220 by the family of Lord William of Ludbrook. It was restored in 1840 and again in 1907. The 14th century tower still remains.
The village is twinned with the town of Mennecy in France.